Dr. Mike Marshall's Pitching Coach Services

April 16, 1977 Sporting News

Relief Ace Marshall Sharp Despite Bout With Surgery
The Sporting News
April 16, 1977
by Wayne Minshew

ATLANTA, GA:  When the Braves broke spring training camp at West Palm Beach, FL, relief ace Mike Marshall was pitching every other day.  That amounted to something almost remarkable, considering what happened to the veteran pitcher over the winter months.

No, not his legal escapades against Michigan State University, a joust he said he won without aid from the bullpen, but a major back operation to correct a disc problem.

The often controversial Braves pitcher underwent the surgery because of frequent and increasing pain in his back, injured in a car-train crash when he was 11 years old in 1955.

The pain, he said, came and went since then, but it was tolerable until late last season, when it started to affect his pitching.

After researching possible repercussions, he decided to have the surgery.  It was done January 25.  Afterward, he was advised by doctors not to do anything for at least six weeks.

Marshall, as he sometimes does, had other ideas.

"I went to this kinesiologist I know," he said, grinning.  "And he mapped out a rehabilitation program for me that was a lot faster."
,br> Kinesiologist?

"Yeah," said Marshall. "The same one who treated Fran Tarkenton, Bill Kilmer and some of those people."

Would his name happen to be Marshall?

"That's the one," said the pitcher.

Isn't he expensive?
,br> "Expensive as hell.  But he's worth it."

Actually, Marshall got the service for free.  But nobody else could, because the pitcher has this company, the Mike Marshall Kinesiological Company, which provides aid or advice.  He won't even talk in depth of what he knows, saying, "You sign a contract, pay the money and get the service."

He smiled.

"Only the birds sing for free," he said.

The Braves, however, are only interested in Marshall making opposing batters sing the blues.  He was getting closer and closer as spring training ended.

"My endurance is missing," he said at one point, "but I've only been at it a couple of months since my operation.  I am making some strong, quality pitches, and I'll be ready to pitch the way I have in the past as soon as possible."

Meanwhile, legal hassles which developed over his use of Michigan State athletic facilities are behind him.  Charges were dropped after Marshall, representing himself, got a hung jury in a February trial.

"They voted 5-1 for acquittal," he said.  "I beat them.  When they mentioned another trial, I said, `Let's go ... right now.'  I was ready to beat them again."

Happy Pitching Everybody

Home Page